Monday, October 24, 2011

Calgary Inter-Faith Food Bank Drive

Jordan and I have some responsibilities in our church - I teach in the Primary (usually the kids 3 and 4 years old), Jordan teaches once a month in the Elder's Quorum (a men's organization), and we both serve as dance managers at the monthly Calgary Regional Youth Dances. These responsibilities keep us busy but they truly bring us joy. (If you want to learn more about our church, you can check out www.mormon.org) In addition to these regular jobs, this year we were also asked to help with the City Wide Food Drive for the Calgary Inter-Faith Food Bank. The LDS church has done this every fall for several years and we were excited to help out. Little did we realize how crazy this undertaking is!! We were in charge of organizing things for our ward. There are about 50 LDS wards in Calgary, each covering several communities. Our ward (6th ward) covers communities in the NE like Bridgeland, Sommerset, Collingwood, Tuxedo, Mount Pleasant etc. Our ward members all pitch in to deliver the flyers and bags the week of the event, and pick up the food that Saturday. we cover about 16,000 houses. Our main responsibilities included photocopying maps of the routes (100 in all), counting out the proper amount of flyers and bags for each route, asking members to help deliver the routes, and helping deliver and pick up some routes ourselves.
 Stacking the routes into piles
 They were all over the house!
 Disaster area
 Your mind starts going crazy after counting out a few thousand flyers
 Jordan's OCD piles - they were so nicely organized!
 At this point I'm thinking, "I'll never do this again!" lol.
 We had to punch the centers out of the flyers. My thumbs were so ripped up! We still have all these paper circles. Any ideas about what we can do with them?
 Almost done!
 Jordan did such a great job with this assignment. He is so organized. 
 We dropped by the church to set things up for the ward members to pick up the routes. Our church is on Crescent Hill. We have a great view!
 My cutie!
 We actually did set this stuff up after a crazy hike (post coming soon)
 Sorting them out by community 


**Pick up Day**
We couldn't believe how much food we collected on our two routes!
 We dropped off the food at one of our church buildings. There were so many other cars lined up, waiting to drop off their food too.
 So much food! Calgary - you rock!

 They would fill these bins up then load them onto the trucks
I'm so glad our church helps out in the community and that we are given opportunities to serve those around us. This project really opened our eyes and gave us that warm fuzzy feeling that is so wicked!

4 comments:

  1. Good job guys! Looks like a ton of work!!!!!
    You guys had an awesome turn out! Holy smokes!

    Robin and I did a route in Edmonton and didn't get too much and the church wasn't too busy. I'm excited to move back to Calgary and do a route there. It seems bigger in Calgary.
    Such a great experience though!

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could make a whole bunch of custom coasters. lol or decorate your christmas tree using only those. Or just use them for messages or to-do lists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan - Has Edmonton been doing it for long? That's good that you helped out. This was our first time to do pick up. I always helped deliver but I always seemed to be working on the Saturday so it was SOOO neat to pick up all that food. I was honestly almost crying - I was so impressed with the support!
    Lita- Thanks for the awesome ideas! I especially love the Christmas Tree idea. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurry up and go on another date! I wanna read more adventures!!!!! :1

    -Ryan P.

    ReplyDelete