Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Bagpipes, Red Hair, and Caber Tossing

Have you ever been to the Calgary Highland Games? We heard it was fun so we checked it out...
I have never seen so many bagpipes in one place before!! And they're all playing different songs so your head starts to spin a bit but in sort of a hypnotizing way. 
Question: Is it true that men don't wear undies under those kilts? Because it was a little breezy that day and I was starting to get a little nervous if you know what I mean. 


These guys looked serious
 Caber Tossing. So entertaining. 
Scottish Hammer Throw. Did you know these guys are like "World Champions"...where do you train for something like this? So awesome.
 Someone had waaaayyy to much time on their hands
 "Weight over the Bar"...ummm ya that would definitely smack me in the face if I did that.
 My favorite Scottish boy!!
Scottish Drumming Band
 Cute little girlies 
 We got a little rained on but this adorable family seemed unfazed. A mom and dad and two kids all had matching outfits. I could only sneak a picture of the boys though. The little boy was catching raindrops on his tongue. Priceless!
 So good!
 I think I damaged my ear drums that day. jk. I love the bagpipes. 
We had fun at this event but we would recommend bringing your own food. We bought some there and it was both expensive and disgusting. Other than that, this is definitely something you need to check out at least once. Especially if you have some Scottish blood in you!


Fun facts:
-Jordan is of Scottish decent 
-His mother's maiden name is Smith
-This is the Smith Tartan:






-The Smith Clan Motto is "I Shine Not Burn" because Smiths were originally blacksmiths, goldsmiths, etc, and their goal was to use skill and cause the metal to shine not burn.


No comments:

Post a Comment